Tuesday, August 12, 2008

NYC, Babies!

I've finally made it to the city of infinite loonihood. Here's where I'm supposed to say something like, "well, not all of New York is like Manhattan," but last summer I discovered the insanity of living in a place like this, and I continue to stand by my opinion: you have to be bat-shit-crazy to revel in this kind of cool and efficient environment. Don't get me wrong–I don't wish to fall into "the city is evil" trap nor consign "bat-shit-crazy" to the Nike Store of qualifiers–this place fills me with wonder and awe at its inhabitants.

With that said, I'm going to briefly summarize some finding from 6 record stores yesterday. Well, more like three, because one had disappeared off the face of the earth completely, and two were closed. So I went to three and found some awesome stuff. It's interesting that stores don't have a "punk/indie/hardcore" section like most Westcoast and Southern cities do–it's all "indy" or "70s/80s/90s Rock." Found some cool looking experimental/noise stuff and a hand-collaged album cover coated in Mod-Podge. Effing sweet.

But seriously: in the Village there are record stores every two blocks. I have at least a dozen to go to in Manhattan and another God-knows-how-many in Brooklyn. We'll see about those other boroughs.

On tap: talking with Secret Project Robot folks, a day trip to the Princeton Record Exchange (boasting 150,000 volumes), a collector, and more record stores. There's plenty more blog to suck down in the next week, so don't go filling up those heads of yours with other lite bloggical nonsense.

I posted some findings last night. They're under "more awesome record covers" in the Tasty Links sidebar, as always.

Stay cool, daddies
James

No comments: